Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Books, books and books.

As children, most people love to read comics. I detested them. I only managed to read Pinki ( hehehe, really Pinki??) and chacha Chaudhary, and later on Champak and Twinkle. Also, I read them only when I was bored to death and my sister would have her exams and I couldn't fight or irritate her. The reading bug caught me when I was in my 8th grade. I made my sister borrow a book from the library on her name ( only students in the higher class could borrow books in my school). Hence, the first novel I have read in my life is, Coma, by Robin Cook. Well, those of you, if a little familiar with the author, would think that a thirteen year old, could have done without this as her first novel. The book gives a detail explanation of the not-known side of the medical world and many other things. But I was fascinated by the book. I wanted to read more from the same author. Alas, my sister would not hear of it ( she was advised by some silly friennd of her's to not give me novels to read at this age. Talk about being old - fashioned! as if! ).

So, the next novel which I read was after two years of gap, and this time around, it was another popular writer, Sidney Sheldon. Nothing Lasts Forever, this was the first novel of his which I read, and I was hooked on to his novels in the years to come. I have read all of his novels except one and my favorite is , Tell me your dreams.

Another book which was a milestone in itself to read was , Godfather. I was obsessed by the book, I used to read it through out the day, while eating, travelling, in between classes, all the time. I have still not the seen the movie, beacause I don't want to spoil the magic this book has created for me. The way I look at the characters of this book are my own, I have my own setting and I refuse to part with it.

And so the journey began from Sheldon, I went to back to Robin Cook :), ( the friend didn't have a say anymore :) ), Jeffrey Archer, some claasics, Ludlum, Christie, Poe, Jayeshree Misra, Shashi Deshpandey, the list is endless. I love reading books, my summer vacations used to go by in a jiffy, I used to read through out the day, as well as nights.
They still give me pleasure, company and a lot more. The journey is not over yet! :)

2 comments:

spilledbytes said...

Great to see people like you in these times, which can be approximated by the second part of the first sentence in Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. Times when we catch up on even news on the internet. Go on!

sonia said...

Ahem , I haven't read this book of Dickens'.. so..
and yes, I can never part with books, they are a lifeline to me :)